Settling Property Insurance Claims

​​​​​​​Last Updated: August 8, 2023

Full version of publication: Settling Property Insurance Claims​

Floods, tornadoes, wind, and ice storms have caused substantial damage to life and property in Wisconsin in recent years. Too often, policyholders receive less from insurance policies than they expect because their property was not insured to its full value or they do not understand exactly what type of damage is covered.

After a disaster damages or destroys your property, concerns about temporary shelter, emergency repairs, and the costs of restoring or rebuilding your home can be overwhelming. This guideshould address your questions about

  • ​how to fill out a claim form ​
  • how to best settle an insurance claim
  • flood insurance
  • tips on how to be prepared before a natural disaster

To more easily view a glossary term in a PDF within your internet browser, simply hold the CTRL (control) key (or ⌘ key on a Mac) while clicking on the dotted-underlined term​. This will open the glossary in a new window, allowing you to hold your spot within the consumer guide.

Request a Copy by Mail
If you wish to receive a printed version of this guide by mail, click here or call 1-800-236-8517 to request a copy.

File a Complaint
If you have a specific complaint about your insurance, refer it first to the insurance company or agent involved. If you do not receive satisfactory answers, contact the Office of the Commissioner of Insurance (OCI).

  • ​Reach out to OCI (1-800-236-8517, to speak with our staff. If sending an email, please indicate your name and phone number.

  • File a complaint with OCI. You can file a complaint online by clicking here. If you would like to file your complaint by mail, you can download a complaint form in English or Españ​ol.​