After a Storm Hits

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Last Updated: November 3, 2020

Printable version of publication: After a Storm Hits​​​​

  • Notify your insurance agent or insurance company right away to begin the insurance claim process.

  • Make a list of damaged items for your adjuster, including cracks in walls, damage to floors, and missing roof tiles.

    • If structural damage is likely, discuss this with your adjuster. In some cases, the adjuster may recommend hiring a licensed engineer or architect to inspect the property. You should also get the electrical system checked. Most insurance companies pay for such inspections.
  • Take photographs of the damages for the insurance company.

  • Keep swatches of damaged material, such as carpeting, curtains, and furniture.

  • Don’t throw out any damaged property without the claims adjuster’s agreement. If local officials require you to dispose of damaged items for safety, photos and swatches will help.

  • Keep all receipts that document the cost of the repairs or the replacement of damaged items.

  • TO AVOID SCAMS, make sure to take your time. If you feel pressured to sign a contract quickly, take a step back and investigate. Make sure the contractor is licensed and check with the Better Business Bureau that there are no reports against them.

  • Most homeowners policies do not cover flooding or seepage through the foundation. A separate flood insurance policy sold through the National Flood Insurance Program is necessary for this coverage.

  • Damages from sewer backup or sump pump overflow is not covered by standard homeowners insurance or flood insurance. The purchase of a special endorsement for your homeowner's policy is required for this type of coverage.

Contact the Office of the Commissioner of Insurance
For a specific complaint about your insurance, refer it first to the insurance co​mpany or agent involved. If you do not receive satisfactory answers, contact OCI.