The Wisconsin Office of the Commissioner of Insurance (OCI) will process all company appointments electronically through the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR). The appointment renewal invoice will include all resident/nonresident appointment renewals.
All agents will appear on the renewal list unless the agent was terminated by 11:59 p.m. CST on December 31, 2022.
DATES & CONSIDERATIONS
- Appointment billings become available, and payments may be submitted starting on January 5, 2023.
- The appointment invoice and a list of agents associated with the invoice will be available on the NIPR website at www.nipr.com on the morning of January 5, 2023, through 4:00 p.m. CDT, March 15, 2023.
- Appointment terminations can only be processed for appointments that are shown as active on the Producer Data Base (PDB) at the time the termination transaction is sent to NIPR.
- Appointments added on or after January 1, 2023, will be assigned a 2023 renewal date and will not be included on this year's invoice.
The deadline to submit an agent termination is 11:59 p.m. on December 31, 2022. No reconciliation will be allowed on or after January 1, 2023.
- Companies who had previously qualified for OCI exemption from the electronic appointment process will need to set up an account directly with NIPR or one of their Authorized Business Partners (http://www.nipr.com/index_authorized_business_partners.htm) to submit their appointment transactions.
- If the company fails to pay the renewal invoice by the March 15, 2023, deadline, all agent appointments will be terminated. To activate those appointments, the company will need to reappoint and pay initial appointment fees again via www.nipr.com.
NIPR transaction processing fees are nonrefundable.
- By using NIPR's electronic appointment renewals, the NIPR invoice will be updated as paid, and the transactions to renew will be forwarded to OCI within 24 business hours.
- NIPR will display the invoices as paid once payment is received.
- The appointee must hold an “Intermediary (Agent) Individual" license class on PDB. The License Class PDB/PIN Codes are 9294/9294.
Companies with an NAIC Co Code wishing to reconcile their appointments with OCI may obtain a list of agents via the Company Appointment Report (CAR) before the appointment renewal invoices are created. Terminations can be made through the Interactive Appointment and Termination Application. Both these applications are available to NIPR subscribers. If you are not a subscriber or need to verify that you are subscribed to these products, please contact NIPR at (816) 783-8467 or email@example.com for subscription information. You may also utilize the services of an NIPR Authorized Business Partner (www.nipr.com/index_authorized_business_partners.htm).
Payments for OCI appointment renewals must be received by NIPR through one of the following electronic options:
- If you are paying by credit card (Visa, Mastercard, or American Express), the process will be entirely electronic, and a receipt will be displayed that can be printed for your records.
- There is a $60,000 limit on credit card payments. If your invoice exceeds the limit, you must choose an alternative payment method. If you have questions regarding the other methods, call NIPR Customer Service.
- A few banks or credit unions may not offer electronic check services.
- If your bank requires a pre-authorization to use the electronic check service, you will need to provide them with this information: NIPR ACH-9431763793.
- There is a $20 returned check charge for any electronic check that does not clear the applicant's bank. Additionally, the state will be notified when a payment issue is not promptly resolved, possibly resulting in nonrenewal of appointments or a reversal of renewals until payment is made.
Paper Checks are NOT accepted
- Companies that submit a payment to NIPR via paper check will not have their renewal invoice processed and will have the payment returned to them.
- Receipt of a paper check is through a lockbox account, so NIPR may take several days to post the paper check and issue a return check to your company.
- NIPR is not responsible if nonrenewal terminations are incurred during this period.
NIPR Transaction Fees
The NIPR renewal processing fee is 1% of the total state fee charged, with a minimum of $5 and a maximum of $1,000.
- For example: For 100 appointments, the State Fee per Appointment Renewal = $10, the Total State Appointment Renewal Fee = $1,000, and the NIPR transaction fee = $10.
- Transaction fees must be paid to renew and NIPR processing fees are not refundable.
Wisconsin Office of the Commissioner of Insurance Appointment Renewal Fees
The fee is based on whether the agent is a resident or nonresident of Wisconsin as reported to the Producer Database (PDB). Wisconsin's fee is not based on the resident state of the company.
- The renewal start date is January 5, 2023, and the renewal end date is March 15, 2023
- Resident fee = $16
- Nonresident fee = $30
PROCESS BEGINNING JANUARY 5, 2023, when the electronic invoices are on the website
- Follow the links to company appointment renewals and sign in using any of your company identifiers:
- After entering the necessary identifying information, you can:
- Print/pay the invoice
- View the detailed report of appointment renewals
- Print the report
- Download the report as text (delimited)
- Download the report as XML
- Help screens and NIPR Customer Support are available to guide you through the process
If you have any questions regarding this new appointment renewal process, contact NIPR Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org.