Press Release, September 8, 2017, Commissioner Nickel Encourages Returning Students to Review Their Insurance Coverage

Last Updated: September 8, 2017

Date: September 8, 2017
For more information contact: Elizabeth Hizmi, Public Information Officer, (608) 267-9460 or

​Commissioner Nickel Encourages Returning Students to Review Their Insurance Coverage

Madison, WI—Commissioner Ted Nickel encourages students who are moving on to further their education after high school via technical schools or college to review their insurance needs.

"You've signed up for classes and bought books but also make sure you're adequately covered by insurance," said Commissioner Nickel. "Students should keep in mind the importance of having the right type of auto, renter's and health insurance before they need to access the coverage because of an unexpected event."

Moving on to college or vocational/technical school is a major life event and it is important for students to check to see if they will still be covered under their parents' health, auto and homeowner's insurance or if they need to obtain their own coverage.

If you are attending college, the Office of the Commissioner of Insurance (OCI) offers a short publication entitled Insurance 101: A Guide to Insurance Basics for College Students, which offers tips on what to think about when embarking on the journey to college. If you're heading out into the workforce, check out OCI's consumer publication page which provides links to publications on all types of insurance needs, from life insurance and annuities to health and property insurance.

Auto Insurance

If you cause an auto accident, you may be responsible for the losses of all other people involved in the accident including medical expenses, lost wages, and property damage. The amount of money you may have to pay could be substantial. Auto insurance can help protect you by covering these losses.

If you are driving a car your parents own, you should still be covered under their insurance policy. However, if you buy your own car, you will need an individual auto insurance policy. Likewise, if you ride a moped or a motorcycle, you should ask your agent for more information about moped or motorcycle insurance.

Remember, anyone operating a motor vehicle in Wisconsin is required to have a motor vehicle liability insurance policy in place and to provide proof of coverage if asked by a law enforcement officer. Drivers may be asked to produce evidence of liability coverage if they are pulled over for a traffic violation or if they are involved in an accident.

Renter's Insurance

Renter's insurance is typically overlooked by young adults moving out on their own. Like homeowner's insurance, renter's insurance provides coverage for the loss of property from risks like fire, explosion, vandalism, theft and other perils. Many policies will also provide temporary living expenses if your apartment is uninhabitable.

If you are renting, you need to be aware that your landlord's insurance only covers the building—NOT your possessions.

Health Insurance

Under federal law, adult children up through age 26 will be permitted to remain on their parents' health insurance plan under certain conditions.

The Guide to Health Care Insurance consumer publication on OCI's Web site provides additional information on comprehensive health insurance and the Affordable Care Act.

Additional Resources

There are many resources available if you have questions about obtaining insurance coverage. One option is to contact a licensed insurance agent or insurance company. You may also contact OCI with any insurance questions, concerns or complaints at or send an e-mail to

Created by the Legislature in 1870, Wisconsin's Office of the Commissioner of Insurance (OCI) was vested with broad powers to ensure that the insurance industry responsibly and adequately met the insurance needs of Wisconsin citizens. Today, OCI's mission is to lead the way in informing and protecting the public and responding to its insurance needs.