Limited Travel Insurance Firm License

​​​​​Last Updated: April 24, 2024​

A travel retailer, or an employee or authorized representative of a travel retailer, may offer and disseminate travel insurance under a limited travel firm license only if the firm holds such license. For more information, refer to s. 6​32.977, Wis​​. Stat. ​​.

Offer and disseminate means to provide general information, including a description of coverage and price, as well as to process applications and collect premiums.

A travel insurance producer (intermediary agent) or the travel retailer must provide to purchasers all of the following:

  • The material terms, or a description of the material terms, of the travel insurance coverage.
  • A description of the process for filing a claim.
  • A description of the review or cancellation process for the travel insurance policy.
  • The identity and contact information of the firm.

A travel retailer's employee, or authorized representative, who is not licensed as a travel insurance producer (intermediary agent) may not do any of the following:

  • Evaluate or interpret technical terms, benefits, or conditions of the offered travel insurance coverage.
  • Evaluate or provide advice concerning a prospective purchaser's existing insurance coverage.
  • Hold himself or herself out as an insurer, a licensed travel insurance producer, or an insurance expert.

Initial License Requirements

  1. A Limited Travel Insurance Firm License must have a Designated Responsible Licensed Producer (DRLP) licensed with the limited line of travel to ensure the travel retailer's compliance with the limited lines travel insurance statutes and rules.

  2. Apply at or an NIPR authorized business partner .

  3. A license fee of $100.

Renewal Requirements

Online license renewal opens 90​ days prior to expiration date which is February 15th of every even-numbered year.

  1. Renew via  or through an NIPR authorized business par​tner .

  2. Pay biennial renewal fee of $35 for residents or $70 for nonresidents.