Temporary Insurance Agent License

​​​​​Last Updated: January 19, 2024​

Applying for a Temporary Agent License

A temporary license may be issued to an individual who is a personal representative of a deceased or mentally disabled agent, or to a person designated by an agent who is otherwise disabled or has entered active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces, in order to give time for more favorable sale of the goodwill of a business owned by the intermediary, for the recovery or return of the intermediary, or for the orderly training and licensing of new personnel for the intermediary's business. Refer to s. 628.09, Wis. Stat. ​​ for more information.

Temporary intermediary licenses are only valid for 12 months. Temporary intermediary licenses are NOT eligible for renewal.


The Commissioner may limit the authority of any temporary license in any way deemed necessary to protect insureds and the public. The Commissioner may require the temporary licensee to have a suitable sponsor who assumes full legal responsibility for all acts and omissions of the temporary license, may impose special bonding requirements and may impose other similar requirements designed to protect insureds and the public.

Initial Application Requirements

  1. Determine which temporary line of authority (loa) you wish to apply for:
    • Accident & Health, Casualty, Life, Property, Personal Lines P & C, Variable Life/Variable Annuity
    • Credit, Legal Expense, Travel, Title, Crop, Surety
  2. Fill out the paper application for your Temporary Insurance Agent License​​.
  3. Pay licensing fee of $75 per each line of authority. Make out check or money order to the Office of the Commissioner of Insurance.
  4. Mail into our office to the address on the license application form.

Applicants Please Read: Once your application has been submitted to the State of Wisconsin, you will have 90 days to submit any required information/requirements. Failure to supply the required documentation will cause your application to be CLOSED as EXPIRED. Fees are non-refundable.

If you applied for a license type in error, you will need to submit a written request to our office requesting the withdrawal of the application. The application process and the withdrawal of the application represent an administrative expense for the agency and, therefore, the fees are non-refundable.​