Last Updated: January 19, 2024
Applying for an Individual Nonresident Insurance License
Steps to Apply for a Nonresident License:
- Update, if necessary, address and e-mail at
- Confirm active resident license in your home state for the lines of authority that you wish to apply for in Wisconsin.
- Apply online at
. Choose the
license type that corresponds with what you hold in your resident state.
- If you have administrative actions against you in any state—even if they are not recent—be sure to disclose them on the license application. Also disclose any child support or tax delinquencies, or any criminal charges or convictions. If you are unsure whether something needs to be reported, we encourage you to err on the side of reporting. You will avoid a license denial based on your failure to report.
- Applications can be processed within 24 to 48 hours; however, if the application has been deferred to the state, the processing time could be delayed.
- Applicant's name, birth date, license number, state of residence, SSN, and National Producer Number (NPN) must match current Producer Database (PDB) record for resident state in order to apply for a Wisconsin reciprocal license.
Applicants Please Read: Once your application has been submitted to the State of Wisconsin, you will have 90 days to submit any required information/requirements. Failure to supply the required documentation will cause your application to be CLOSED as EXPIRED. Fees are non-refundable.
If you applied for a license type in error, you will need to submit a written request to our office requesting the withdrawal of the application. The application process and the withdrawal of the application represent an administrative expense for the agency and, therefore, the fees are non-refundable.
Reporting Requirements of an Intermediary (Agent)
All licensed agents in Wisconsin must report the following within 30 days per s. Ins 6.61 (16), Wis. Adm. Code:
- Except for action taken by the Wisconsin Office of the Commissioner of Insurance, any formal administrative action against the intermediary taken by any state's insurance regulatory agency, commission or board or other regulatory agency which licenses the person for any occupational activity. The notification shall include a description of the basis for the administrative action and any action taken as a result of the proceeding, a copy of the notice of hearing and other documents describing the problem, a copy of the order, consent to order, stipulation, final resolution and other relevant documents.
- Any initial pretrial hearing date related to any criminal prosecution of the intermediary taken in any jurisdiction, other than a misdemeanor charge related to the use of a motor vehicle or the violation of a fish and game regulation. The notification shall include a copy of the initial criminal complaint filed, the order resulting from the hearing and any other relevant legal documents.
- Any felony conviction or misdemeanor conviction in any jurisdiction, other than a misdemeanor conviction related to the use of a motor vehicle or the violation of a fish and game regulation. The notification shall include a copy of the initial criminal complaint or criminal charging document filed, the judgement of conviction, the sentencing document, the intermediary's explanation of what happened to cause criminal proceedings, the intermediary's reasons why no action should be taken regarding the intermediary's license and any other relevant legal documents.
- Any lawsuit filed against the licensee or the licensee's business in which there are allegations of misrepresentation, fraud, theft or embezzlement involving the licensee or the licensee's business. The notification shall include a copy of the initial suit documents, the intermediary's explanation of what happened to cause the civil proceedings, the intermediary's reasons why no action should be taken regarding the intermediary's license and any other relevant legal documents.
Disclosures may be submitted through the
NIPR Attachments Warehouse , mail, fax, or via e-mail at