Settling Property Insurance Claims

This publication includes information on:

  • What to do after a loss
  • How to settle an insurance claim
  • Flood insurance
  • Tips on what to do before a loss

Natural disasters—floods, tornadoes, wind, and ice storms have caused substantial damage to life and property in Wisconsin in recent years. Too often policyholders receive less from insurance policies than they expect because their property is not insured to value or they do not understand exactly what type of damage is covered.

After a disaster damages or destroys your property, you will have many questions and be faced with many decisions. Concerns about temporary shelter, emergency repairs, and the costs of restoring or rebuilding your home can be overwhelming and, although you have purchased insurance, you may have many questions about how to fill out a claim form or how to settle your claim. This information is designed to help you answer some of the most frequently asked questions about settling disaster-related claims and gives you some tips on how to be prepared in the event of a disaster.

Settling Property Insurance Claims is available to be downloaded below. Also available to be downloaded below is a Personal Property Home Inventory. Note, however, that you will need an Adobe Acrobat Reader to view or print this information, which you can download at no cost from Adobe .

Settling Property Insurance Claims (opens in new window)
Personal Property Home Inventory (opens in new window)

If you have questions or concerns about your insurance company or agent, write to the insurance company or agent involved. Keep a copy of the letter you write. If you do not receive satisfactory answers, please contact:

To file a complaint online or to print a complaint form:

Online Complaint Form

1-800-236-8517 (Statewide)
(608) 266-0103 (Madison)

Electronic Mail:
Please indicate your name, phone number,
and e-mail address.

Mailing Address:
Office of the Commissioner of Insurance
P.O. Box 7873
Madison, WI 53707-7873

Deaf, hearing, or speech impaired callers may reach OCI through WI TRS.