Physcial Damage Coverage

What does collision coverage provide?

Collision coverage pays for physical damage to your vehicle caused by your vehicle colliding with an object, including another car or if it overturns. In the event of an accident, collision coverage will pay to repair your vehicle up to the amount equal to the value of the vehicle before the accident. Your own insurer will pay for such damage even if the collision is your fault.

Collision premiums are based on the make and model year of your car. You should evaluate the current market value of your car and your ability to afford a similar car should it be destroyed before you purchase this coverage. You may not need this coverage if your car has decreased in value or if you can afford to replace it.

What does comprehensive coverage provide?

Comprehensive (also called other than collision) coverage pays for damage to your vehicle resulting from fire, vandalism, water, hail, glass breakage, wind, falling objects, civic commotion, or hitting a bird or an animal. Damage from striking a deer is a relatively frequent accident in Wisconsin. It is important to know that most policies cover hitting an animal under comprehensive, not collision, insurance.

Comprehensive coverage also pays if your vehicle or parts of it, such as a battery or tires, are stolen. Flood damage to your car is also covered if your auto insurance policy includes comprehensive coverage. If you carry collision without comprehensive, you are not covered for flood damage.

How is the deductible for comprehensive or collision coverage applied?

Deductibles for comprehensive or collision coverage are applied for each occurrence. A deductible is the dollar amount that you have to pay toward the loss before the insurance company begins to make payments on the loss. For example if you suffered a comprehensive loss (a deer hit) and that same day suffered a collision loss (a rock hit your windshield), your policy allows the insurer to apply two different deductibles. Many companies will waive the deductible for the windshield occurrence if you can repair it rather than replace it.

If I have my car financed, do I need to purchase auto insurance?

If you do finance the car, the financial institution (lender) will require that you have car insurance. The terms of your loan will most likely require you to provide comprehensive and collision insurance. This is because the lender considers your vehicle collateral for the loan. If your policy lapses, the bank will force coverage (obtain a policy) and add it to your loan. Forced coverage provides protection to the bank, not you, for their interest in the car and nothing else. The cost of this insurance is much higher than you would pay if you bought your own policy through a standard carrier.