Miscellaneous Auto Insurance Questions

Will my minimum liability limits Wisconsin policy protect me if I drive to another state that requires higher minimum liability limits?

Your Wisconsin policy limits will be interpreted to provide at least the minimum limits required by the laws of the state in which your are operating your vehicle.

What happens if my loan was more than my insurance company says my car was worth?

Sometimes the value of a car is less than the balance of your auto loan. There can be several reasons for this. Interest rate changes may have increased the amount of your loan. Rebates may not be applied to the purchase price, or poor maintenance of the auto may have reduced its value. The insurance company limits its claim payments to the actual cash value (ACV) of your car, regardless of the amount of your loan. If there is a total loss, the insurance company would only pay the ACV leaving the balance of the loan to be paid by the borrower. If you are concerned about this financial risk, you might consider asking your agent about "gap insurance."

When I buy an additional car or replace a car, does my policy automatically cover it?

Yes, but you need to be aware of certain limitations. An additional car automatically has the same coverage as the car with the broadest coverage provided by your policy. (For example: You already have two cars. One has just liability coverage. The other has liability, collision and comprehensive--the broadest coverage afforded by the policy. Therefore, if you buy a third car, it automatically will have liability, collision and comprehensive.)

A replacement car automatically has the same coverage as the car it replaced. (For example: You have two cars. You trade in the older car, which has only liability coverage, on a new car. This means the new car automatically has only liability coverage.)

Be sure to notify your insurance agent or company as soon as possible that you have added or replaced a car and which coverages you want for the new car. The personal auto policy requires the policyholder to notify the company or agent within a specified number of days. It is best to call your agent before picking up your car to make sure you have the coverages you want.

What can I do if I have a problem with my auto insurance company?

You should first attempt to resolve your concerns with your agent or with the company that sold you the policy. If you do not get satisfactory answers from the agent or company, contact the Wisconsin Office of the Commissioner of Insurance. A complaint form is included on this web site.

Make sure you have included detailed information about your insurance problem. Be sure that you include the correct name of the insurance company from which you bought the policy. Many companies have very similar names. Listing the wrong name may delay the investigation of your complaint.