How to File a Motor Vehicle Claim

If your company car or truck is involved in an accident, if it is damaged by fire, flood or vandalism, or if it is stolen, follow these steps in filing a claim.

  • Phone your agent or insurer as soon as possible. Ask what forms or documents will be needed to support your claim. Your insurer may require a "proof of loss" form, as well as documents relating to your claim, such as medical and repair bills and a copy of the police report.
  • Supply the information your insurer needs. Cooperate with the investigation, settlement or defense of any claim, and provide copies of any legal papers you receive in connection with your loss. Your insurer will represent you if a claim is brought against you and defend you if you are sued for a claim covered by the policy.
  • Keep records of expenses you may incur as a result of the accident. You may be reimbursed for them because of your policy. If the accident occurs while employees are conducting insurer-related business activities, your worker's compensation policy will cover the workers' medical expenses and loss of income.
  • Keep copies of all paper work for your own files. You may need them later.