Types of Individual Intermediary or Agent Licenses
Section Ins 6.50, Wis. Adm. Code

Major Lines
Limited Lines
Other License Types
Obsolete Lines of Authority
Insurance Product Types that do not Require an Individual License

Major Lines

Accident & Health (also known as Disability Insurance)—Insurance coverage for sickness, bodily injury or accidental death and may include benefits for disability income (includes credit accident & health, disability, long-term care, Medicare supplement).

Casualty—Insurance coverage against legal liability, including that for death, injury or disability or damage to real or personal property (includes auto, homeowners, fidelity, steam boiler, title, worker's comp., debtors, credit unemployment, prepaid legal expense, surety, town mutual nonproperty, mortgage guaranty, gap, errors and omissions). To sell auto and/or homeowners insurance, an agent must hold both property and casualty lines of authority.

Life—Insurance coverage on human lives including benefits of endowment and annuities and may include benefits in the event of death or dismemberment by accident and benefits for disability income (includes credit life, pre-need funeral expense, fixed annuities, index annuities).

Personal Lines P&C—Property and casualty insurance sold to individuals and families for primarily noncommercial purposes. Personal Lines P&C is not needed if the agent holds property and casualty lines of authority.

Property—Insurance coverage for the direct or consequential loss or damage to property of every kind (includes auto, homeowners, fire, hail, wind, livestock mortality, inland marine, crop, pet, mechanical breakdown, gap plus, window etching, identity theft). To sell auto and/or homeowners insurance, an agent must hold both property and casualty lines of authority.

Variable Life/Variable Annuity—Insurance coverage provided under variable life insurance contracts and variable annuities (residents must hold a valid life license and proof of FINRA registration for series 6 or 7). Nonresident agents must hold a variable license from their resident or designated home state. Nonresident agents do not need a life insurance license unless the agents would like to sell life or annuity nonvariable insurance products.

Limited Lines

Credit—Credit life, credit disability, credit property, credit unemployment, involuntary unemployment, mortgage life, mortgage guaranty, mortgage disability, guaranteed automobile protection (gap) and any other form of insurance offered in connection with an extension of credit that is limited to partially or wholly extinguishing that credit obligation that the commissioner determines should be designated a form of limited line credit insurance. Agents may also sell credit insurance if they have a life, accident & health, property and/or casualty line of authority.

Crop—Insurance providing protection against damage to crops from unfavorable weather conditions, fire or lightning, flood, hail, insect infestation, disease or other yield-reducing conditions or perils provided by the private insurance market, or that is subsidized by the Federal Crop Insurance Corporation, including Multi-Peril Crop Insurance. Agents may also sell crop insurance if they have a property line of authority.

Legal Expense—Insurance that covers only legal expenses incurred by or provided to an individual or business. Agents may also sell legal insurance if they have a casualty line of authority.

Surety—Insurance or bond that covers obligations to pay the debts of, or answer for the default of another, including faithlessness in a position of public or private trust. Agents may also sell surety insurance if they have a casualty line of authority.

Title—Insurance against loss by reason of defects in titles to property. Agents may also sell title insurance if they have a casualty line of authority.

Travel—Insurance coverage for trip cancellation, trip interruption, baggage, life, sickness and accident, disability and personal effects when limited to a specific trip and sold in connection with transportation provided by a common carrier. Agents may also sell travel insurance if they have property, casualty and accident & health lines of authority.

Other License Types

Individual Employee Benefit Plan Administrator—Individual Third-Party Administrator (TPA) that processes claims on behalf of an insurance company. Any questions regarding TPA entities and license requirements must be referred to the Agent Licensing Section at ociagentlicensing@wisconsin.gov.

Intermediary Firm—Any corporation or partnership for which or on whose behalf any licensed intermediary solicits, negotiates, places insurance or annuities, or advises on insurance needs and coverages; any corporation or partnership that receives, shares, or accepts assignment of commissions or compensation for services performed as an intermediary; and any insurance agency whose legal form is a corporation. Corporate and partnership licensing is not mandatory by the Office of the Commissioner of Insurance and does not provide the entity with the authority to act as an agent. Corporations are not appointed to do business with individual insurers. In addition, commissions can be assigned to a corporation, with or without a license.

Life Settlement Broker—Any person/firm authorized to act as a provider or broker for the sale of life settlement insurance. Broker must provide proof of liability insurance, list of approved providers and complete required training before issuing a license.

Managing General Agent—Individual agents must hold an individual intermediary license and an individual Managing General Agent (MGA) license first before the firm can apply for MGA license. Any person that manages all or part of the insurance business of an insurer or manages a separate division, department or underwriting office; acts as an agent for the insurer; and with or without the authority, either separately or together with affiliates, directly or indirectly: produces and underwrites in any one quarter or year.

Reinsurance Intermediary-Broker—Any person other than an officer or employee of ceding insurer who solicits, negotiates or places reinsurance cessions or retrocessions on behalf of a ceding insurer.

Reinsurance Intermediary-Manager—Any person who has authority to bind, manages a separate division, department or underwriting office with responsibility for, or manages all or part of, assumed reinsurance business of a reinsurer and acts as an agent for the reinsurer.

Surplus Line Agent—Any person authorized to sell the insurance of a nondomestic insurer which has not obtained a certificate of authority to do business in this state. Resident agents must hold a property and casualty license before applying for a Surplus Line Agent.

Obsolete Lines of Authority—Licenses held in these lines remain active, however, they are no longer offered to new applicants:

  • Windstorm
  • Fidelity
  • Mortgage Guaranty
  • Hail
  • Town Mutual Nonproperty
  • Automobile

Insurance Product Types that do not Require an Individual License

  • Rental Car Insurance
  • Portable Electronics
  • Town Mutual Agent unless the agent sells reinsurance products
  • Motor Club Agent
  • Service Contract Agent or Warranty Agent